Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Old Age, You Scare Me

You know, there isn't a whole lot in life that causes me great anxiety.  Not a whole lot, but still there is one nagging fear I have.  It’s getting old that bothers me.

Really it’s not even about old age per say; rather, what my life might look like when I’m in my 70’s or 80’s – God willing I live that long.  And this isn’t something new that has snuck up on me either.  About 9 years ago one of the girls and I had a heart to heart about just this topic.  I was at the back end of my 30’s; she was a very wise old age of 5.  Egad, that conversation continues to haunt me.

The short version of the conversation is this: Pea had developed a fear of getting old and being a homeless woman…a bag lady.  It wasn’t personal life circumstances that caused such fear for my little one; instead it was because of our family’s outreach for the homeless.  The conversation really was fabulous.  In the end, Pea made a promise, a commitment; to herself that she would save a large percentage of every dollar she was given or earned, from that moment on.   And she has.  Fear became an incredible motivator for her.

Truthfully, Pea didn’t learn this from me.  In fact, though I know the importance of saving for my own old age, I’ve not been as proactive as I might have been; I dislike having to admit that.  Lately I’ve been wondering if the universe is conspiring against me, because I am bumping into more and more information about women not being prepared for their retirement years.  I guess I could count myself lucky to be in such great company – but I don’t.  Instead it seems to be more of a call to arms; a screaming out for action on my own behalf.

Have you ever had this fear?  If so, and if you have moved beyond paralysis, then I’m hoping you will share some wisdom you have gained.  What resources have you turned to; are there specific online sites you take advantage of, or books you might recommend?

This article puts things in glaring perspective.  I know I am not alone…it is time to move into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment